Friday 15 April 2011

looking back on slaughterhouse five,

I must admit, to be fair, that SH5 is the only text by Vonnegut that I've yet to read.  However, this singular text has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth for Vonnegut's style.  Considered to be a masterpiece by many, SH5 left me with nothing but a confused feeling and really, disappointment.  I expected so much more from Vonnegut than just a jumbled mess of anecdotes and a thin veil over Vonnegut's own wartime experiences.  Some critics of Sh5 are unhappy with the lack of plot development or depth of characters, but this is not my source of annoyance.  I would be able to tolerate SH5 and genuinely be able to appreciate its genius if only Vonnegut were able to decide what exactly his novel is meant to accomplish.
  I can get a lot from Sh5.  I totally understand that through Trafalmador (sp?), Vonnegut is stressing the importance and neccesity of finding meaning within our lives.  That was actually the only part of the novel I fully enjoyed, as I found many parallels between their planet's message and the doctrines of different new age teachings.  I can sort of sympathize with Vonnegut's condemning of the direction in which marriage and family structure seems to be heading.  The only real issue is that SH5 is supposed to be about war.  Although some of the plot takes place in Dresden, the novel instead focuses on relationships that take place during this war. 
   I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seemed to me like Vonnegut was unsure of what message he wanted to get across, so he decided to hit all of his bases, just in case.  Although I understand that the point of the novel is for it to be purposely confusing, I couldn't help but feel that Vonnegut was just as confused when writing SH5 as I was while reading it.  However, even if I were to edit SH5, I can't honestly say that there would be much that I would change. 
   Despite all the rage, confusion, annoyance, and sheer bewilderment that SH5 caused me, I  guess I can finally say I accept it.  For all those who have yet to finish or even begin reading SH5, don't try to understand it. Just accept that fact the Slaughterhouse Five is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment